Thursday, September 8, 2011

Create a Windows Boot Disk from Linux

I tend to not have any Windows machines around unless I need them, and I'm getting tired of the unlabeled CDs floating all around me.  I decided to see if I could figure out a way on how to make a bootable windows USB thumb drive from Linux.

initial solution can be found here


1.  format your usb thumb drive to NTFS.
     sudo mkfs -t ntfs /dev/sdb1
2.  make the partition bootable:
     #fdisk /dev/sdb
      a (toggle bootable flag)
     1 (select partition I'm presuming you only have a single partition )
     w (write changes)
3.  mount your cdrom (which should happen automatically ) or the ISO.
      # mount -o loop win7.iso win_disk
4.  mount the usb drive.
     # mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
5.  copy data over.
     #rsync -avP /mnt/cdrom/  /mnt/usb/
6.  Download and build ms-sys which you can get from here:
7.  Make USB thumb drive bootable
     # ms-sys -7 /dev/sdb

No comments:

Post a Comment