Thursday, November 22, 2012

Netflix On Ubuntu

Disclaimer: Full credit for this article goes to:  http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-to-use-netflix-on-ubuntu  This is nothing but a repost.

I usually post random tech items and a few other oddities that interest me...and netflix coming to the Linux Desktop has me super excited.

1.  Install Netflix Desktop



  • sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
  • sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
2.  start netflix-desktop and follow the screen prompts.  It should download the gecko engine, install silverlight etc.... and you should be able to stream your netflix videos.

If you do get this working.. I am curious to see what the performance is for you.  It looks like it runs.. but it's definitely not native.  A step in the right direction though....

On a side note.  There is this big project spiraled by Ubuntu where they're trying to get Ubuntu running on an android phone.  I wonder if the opposite would be possible, and if we'll ever see a native Android app run on an Linux Desktop.  (Letting me run my android netflix app on my 24" LCD monitor ) 





No comments:

Post a Comment