Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Twitter/ Identi.ca Project Ideas Part 1

So this project is mostly motivated out of a sheer laziness on my part. 

Talking to a few people I've gotten two potential ideas now....

1. idea which I'm not sure if there would be much use out of it or not.. is to allow some form of encoding.  ie.  Read a user's twitter feed given a starting tag in one of his messages  ie.  ==BEGIN== (or something more intelligent) followed by the message.. and keep concatenating the messages, interpreting html tags maybe and such for formatting, until a closing tag is found.  So I can push a 10 page essay divided into 140 chars bits and be readable on the other side, and be transparent to the user.. maybe click here link to link that stream to tweets as a single document.

the real question is why... twitter will probably spit fire at you if you do this.. and kill their already overloaded servers.. probably more applicable applications would be in an internal status.net server. 

Mainly, I'm getting really annoyed with the 140 char limits.. I'd like to be able to express a proper idea without having to sound like a mentally handicapped teen.  I can type full words, but I find myself using silly acronyms like 2 and ur and removing spaces in order to tag and fit the full idea across the 140 char.  If enough clients supported this new theoretical format..   then we could write full sentences and express a coherent thought...   this seems like a practical application of the project.  a 10 page essay via tweets is just silly..but it would be a fun little exercise just to watch smoke come out of twitter.. especially if enough users adopt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment